- In May 2003, Yongin sent an official letter suggesting an international exchange program between it and Kota
Kinabalu, the capital of Sabah, Malaysia, a place known for its tremendous natural tourist resources.
- Kota Kinabalu sent an official letter in reply under the authority of the Mayor of Kota Kinabalu on August
27th, 2003, expressing positive feedback from their reviews of the proposal.
- The exchange began with an exchange of letters and materials introducing each city to the other. A Kota
Kinabalu delegation, led by Mayor Datuk Haji Abdul Ghani, visited Yongin in September, 2003 in order to
promote mutual understanding and to gain an insight into Yongin’s administrative system. He extended an
invitation to the Mayor of Yongin to Kota Kinabalu.
- A Yongin delegation, comprising 13 representatives and led by Mayor Lee Jung-moon, visited Kota Kinabalu
from January 30th to February 4th, 2004, signing a Friendship Agreement for continuous and amicable
exchange on February 3rd, 2004.
- A Kota Kinabalu delegation, comprising 16 representatives and led by Mayor Datuk Haji Abdul Ghani, visited
Yongin from November 24th to 26th, 2004, signing an Agreement on the Establishment of Sisterhood on